Friday, May 27, 2011

La Canebière et Le Vieux Port

Bonjour, tout le monde!

First, thank you for reading the blog! It's a blessing to receive your comments.

I was able to go for a nice run when I awoke (refreshed) yesterday. It's cool here in the mornings and the provençal countryside is beautiful! Thereafter, Matt and I spent most of the day exploring the city. He picked me up around 9 a.m. from Ésaïe 55, and that started our day-long journey into the typical behind-the-scenes life of a missionary. We bought our métro passes, went from office to office trying to sort out details about cartes de séjour (visas) renewal, checked on van and hotel reservations for when the team arrives, met some very nice people, and stocked up on some supplies for later in the week. At La Préfecture, the lady who helped us asked Matt what he did, and thus began a conversation about religion (particularly in France) and the Bible (which she is currently re-reading). It was cool to watch Matt interact so authentically, eventually offering to sit down and study the Bible if she was ever interested. God is so faithful to orchestrate divine appointments with people. Please pray that the Lord will continue to work in this lady's life.

We had lunch at a nice café near ResidHotel, where the team will be staying starting Saturday. Matt knew the owner, a nice Jewish lady. About 10% of Marseille is Jewish, compared to 1.5% Protestants. Here's a picture of my dessert (choc-amandes), a chocolate-filled croissant covered with almonds. Vegan? Debatable. Delicious? Definitely.

We proceded to walk down La Canebière after lunch, the famous stretch in Marseille, simliar to Les Champs Elysées in Paris.

We followed it to the Vieux Port (Old Port) of Marseille. It's a very culturally rich place. There are a lot of shops, restaurants, monuments, etc. There's une poissonnerie (a fish market) there in the mornings, so hints of the aroma were still lingering. 

On the way back to the métro, we passed a candy shop that I visited last time I was in France (in Aigues-Mortes). It's quite a place! The name is La Cure Gourmande, and I picked up a few sea salt caramels. Boy, are they deliciously rich!

Finally, we got back to the car and headed to the supermarket to buy bottled water (about 300 bottles). We're going to attach a flyer for one of our events to the bottles and hand them out to college-age people at the beach next week. 

With all that done, the rest of the evening was spent relaxing with Matt's family. Once the kids were in bed, Matt, Christy and I spent time praying together for what the Lord will do during the team's time here. Christy said the Lord impressed on her that He was going to give me a real favor with the French people. I receive it!

I can't wait to see what He has in store for us. I've already seen Him set things in motion in the past few days and I know it will just increase as our team grows.

Thank you for your prayers!

7 comments:

  1. Oh Aaron! Best wishes going out into the people! I hope the team is as enthusiastic and ready as you are when they get there. Been praying for you bud! :)

    PS What's this?! Getting away from totally Vegan?! Ahhh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eliza! Great to hear from you. I checked out your blog - great pictures! I'll start following. Praying for you as well and all that God will do in and through you in Ireland.

    Lemme just tell ya... it's HARD to be vegan here! But I'm giving it a (decent) shot. ;)

    Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you feel right at home with those 10% Jewish population, and I'm even moreso sure they immediately take a liking to you when they hear you've been to Israel... strolled down the Via de la Rosa, hiked Masada, and slept in a sketchy tent in the Dead Sea!! :) Have a blast... and I know G-d will use you to the utmost! I'll be thinking about you as I tread to Israel... the flight just won't be the same without you guys... without holding the plane for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mi ami (French Word of the Day!)!!! I wish you the best time in France! I know you will change people's lives there! And if nothing else, I promise the people you meet will never forget your vibrant and engaging personality! I went to La Cure Gourmande when I was in Brussels...I think I have a picture in front of it! You need to try the spicy dark chocolate, even I liked it! What is this that I have been hearing about you eating meat?!?!?! Well, I say you only live once and you can make peace with the cows and chickidees when you come back! MISS YOU!!!! I'm sendin' love and best dishes from my kitchen to yuuurs!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mon jumeau! So excited to hear you are in Marseille and blogging - I will definitely try to keep up, but had to comment on this post immediately! First, it reminds me of all of our delectable treats we had in Montpellier (can you believe it was 3 years ago?!) and second - that trip to Aigues Mortes was one of my favorite days there, and I still have the little tin I bought from La Cure Gourmande! Hope you are doing well and have an amazing experience.

    - Ally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Aaron! This is a great blog! It's so encouraging and its also great to see Mrs. Christy's prophecy coming true! You do have such favor here and I know God has so much in store for you and for Marseille this coming weekend. I just see your favor growing and your boldness manifesting. Stay in touch... you are a great friend! ~Leah Nelson

    ReplyDelete